Thoughts on Life and Stuff (TOLAS)

Random in both frequency and topic, this is my life. Sort of.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Those words are not enough

There are some crazy words in this language of ours. English is of course the one of which I speak. I like a lot of words. In fact, I just plain like talking. When I do, here are some of my favorites:

asps -- Doesn't sound that vicious, does it? It is one animal that can say its own name, however.
aardvark -- Makes use of the classic "rdv" combination. Plus the two A's put it over the top (of the dictionary). Looks remarkably like "Harvard". Watch this transformation now, watch this: Harvard => Hardvard => Aardvard => Aardvark. See? I don't know if aardvarks can say their own name, but I doubt it.
aa -- While we're talking about words that start with "aa", how about "aa"? It's lava. Rough lava.
awkward -- It looks its definition. In addition, with a little work, awkward could become aardvark too. I'll leave the details to you.
cwm -- one of the best words to use in Scrabble if you run out of vowels. It means coal, or lightning, or a cat in panama, or something like that. I forget.
critwigm -- Even better Scrabble word than cwm. Very difficult to make this one aardvark.
gimcrack -- Sounds like what you see when your plumber Jim bends down. Definition: A cheap and showy object of little or no use; a gewgaw.
gewgaw -- Definition: a gimcrack. Origins unknown (because it was the result of a sneeze?)
onomatopoeia -- One of those words you only ever use in high school English class, or if you want to prove you were awake in high school English. But fun nonetheless
rhythm -- Close friend to rhyme. I like them both, but rhythm is my favorite.
serendipity -- Not sure why, but that's just fun to say. Like Francisco. Francisco...
succinct -- awkward to say, and unlike awkward, does not fit its own definition.

See, now wasn't that fun? What am I missing?

If you saw this coming towards you, you'd say "AA!"

"The aa is heading towards the cwm with the rhythm of a critwigm, so grab your gimcracks and gewgaws and skedaddle!" the awkward aardvark succinctly said to serendipitous asps. "Onomatopoeia," he yelled to prove he passed high school English.

5 Comments:

  • At 1/11/2006 7:49 PM , Blogger Jen said...

    Ridiculi- When something is deserving of an adjective more than just a simple ridiculous. Similar to referring to plural nouns ending in "s" such as Lexi (multiple Lexus cars).
    -Jo's sis Jen

     
  • At 1/11/2006 11:40 PM , Blogger jo portnoy said...

    gocrack -- Sounds like what you see when your Strategic Operations Research Optimization Analysis Analyst Officer, Jo, bends down for her calculator.

     
  • At 1/14/2006 12:50 AM , Blogger mmm... said...

    Jen, I am a liberal user of the "'i' to make things plural," so I'm all for it. Jen's sis, that doesn't sound very lady-like, though now I understand what you mean when you "joLo".

     
  • At 1/14/2006 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    cwm = crevice.

    It's from Welsh, bless its w-using little heart.

     
  • At 1/14/2006 10:20 PM , Blogger mmm... said...

    It's commonly used as a term for valley, which is how I used it in my example sentence. The aa is heading into a valley.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home