Thoughts on Life and Stuff (TOLAS)

Random in both frequency and topic, this is my life. Sort of.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Who decided I'm some sort of grown-up?

So in the past, I've had issues with getting dressed in the morning. In addition to my noted problems with clothing selection, I developed a habit of forgetting to wear a tie or a belt or both to work. This is a problem, because I (strangely) like wearing ties and I definitely appreciate it when my pants don't fall down. I've mostly grown out of this habit. Today, however, I left for work without shoes. This was a conscious decision, but it was very hard for me to do. I had left my black shoes in my car, and I thought if I used an alternate pair to get to my car, I'd leave them there, and then I'd need to wear another provisional pair to fetch the second pair, and then the provisional pair would be left behind, and eventually my head would explode (trust me, it would). Still, my head nearly exploded from the decision to depart shoeless. I circled around my room, searching for an alternative, delaying the inevitable. I pulled my pants up as a woman would lift her skirt as she steps up a curb or over a puddle. I stalled. With much difficulty, I made it to the elevator. There was another guy who got on, but he was too busy with his iPod to notice my resemblance to Joe Jackson. At the garage level, the cleaning lady nearly ran over me with the vacuum (she was getting on the elevator and obviously didn't expect someone to be getting off). My toes averted disaster, and I made it to my car safely. Yes, I am both a weenie and a dork of a high magnitude. But I (sort of) overcame my irrational disinclination to go to work with no shoes. That counts for something, doesn't it?

I quite obviously am stuck in the past...

6 Comments:

  • At 9/13/2006 9:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    happy couple-days-late birthday! i wanted to send you a happy birthday email and then our at-home internet was not fixed monday night like they had said it would be so i did not get to go online at home that night. but i did just reply to your comment at my livejournalness and i said i'd try sending you the foo concert at lunch today because i have the files on a flash drive. so it is sort of like a birthday present almost. :P hehehe.

     
  • At 9/13/2006 12:48 PM , Blogger Renee said...

    As I have told you time and time again, shoes are totally overrated.

    But my main question is this: if your problem with wearing shoes to the car was that you would only take out of the car whichever shoes you were wearing, how did the original pair of black shoes get left in the car to begin with?

     
  • At 9/14/2006 11:54 AM , Blogger Chandster said...

    1) You know I wanted to throw you a party and you all and went away and so no party was thrown for you 60th bday and now I am sad and something needs to be done about that.
    2) I love the refrence to shoeless joe jackson. Nice
    3) I once went to school (in college) forgetting to wear something that is important for girls to wear and just two days ago I went down stairs ready to leave the house forgetting to finish buttoning my shirt

     
  • At 9/14/2006 11:02 PM , Blogger mmm... said...

    Thanks colleennie! Foo me.
    Renee, Shoes are NOT overrated. I brought 2 pairs of shoes so I could change out of work shoes before I went to the airport, and so work pair remained and didn't get carried in with my bags, cuz it was like 2am.
    Changler, wearing shirts is important. Sorry I'm old. Let's watch football on Saturday.

     
  • At 10/04/2006 12:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Darn Hippie Communist!!!!

    I can only assume from your recent shoe-less action and Renee's post that she is succeeding in exerting a good influence on you that I, in four years of Lehigh University Barefoot Days, failed to impart. Perhaps if I had had that quite compelling "Go Barefoot" ad, I would have done better.

     
  • At 10/05/2006 11:15 PM , Blogger mmm... said...

    The thought of you walking around Southside barefoot makes it worst, DW... Barefoot day was pretty amazing though. You hippee. Does this still occur, or have you (or your sock supply) outgrown that?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home