Thoughts on Life and Stuff (TOLAS)

Random in both frequency and topic, this is my life. Sort of.

Monday, November 05, 2007

The history they don't teach you at Marshall Simonds (Or, "Failures in the Public Education System")

I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to diss Burlington ever again. I have just found out two AMAZING facts about the only town I can really call home.

I already knew that Amy Poehler (SNL) and Jay Pandolfo (NHL) both hailed from my old stomping grounds. But I did NOT know that Steven Wright (the comedian) also grew up there. Not a bad alumni list for a smallish suburb...

However, thanks to the joys of Wikipedia, I have found out what might be the greatest useless fact I have ever heard: Burlington may have been ... the birthplace... of the high five. I kid you not. Check it out here.
The high five has been used as a celebratory gesture in sports as far back as 1974. Jack McCullough of Burlington, Massachusetts claims to have been an original inventor of the high-five during CYO basketball competition. Home movies do prove the use of the high five on his basketball team. The gesture caught on very quickly throughout the league, so much so that some consider Burlington to be an unofficial birth place of the high five (though strictly speaking this is probably not true and the town has never publicly made this claim).
Hearsay? An urban legend? The work of some BHS pranksters? Probably, but I'm pretty sure I don't care. If you think I'm not spreading this myth despite its dubious nature, you don't know me at all. How is this not in our town motto?? "The Home of the High Five" should be on every Welcome to Burlington sign and official town document. The Red Devils mascot -- OUT! A giant jumping hand (nicknamed "Fivey"?) -- IN! I may have to run for the Board of Selectmen on this platform alone.


Some other High Five resources...

April 19th, not just another day

A conflicting tale of the origin of the High Five (Lies!! All LIES!!)

US Patent 5,356,330 (Albert Cohen is a hero...)

A smattering of High Five examples, trivia, and the science behind the art

The High Five goodwill ambassador



I've never felt such a sense of hometown pride as I do right now...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home