Thoughts on Life and Stuff (TOLAS)

Random in both frequency and topic, this is my life. Sort of.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Meet the Schecter

Got my second real six-string. Bought it at Guitar Center. Played it till my fingers were red. It was the winter of 2006.

I got a guitar yesterday. It's awesome. I know, I know, "Monty, you play guitar? Like play play??" Well, I've owned a guit' for a long while now, and I recently started/restarted playing it. It is an Ibanez starter pack guitar named Grape Soda. Grape Soda is a pretty good 'tar, but it gets all buzzy, and the neck isn't that fast (read: it's hard to slide your hands up and down it), and the notes don't come out clear. So I've been looking around for an upgrade. I went to Guitar Center yesterday just to play around with some. I told the guy (Jonah is his name) what I was looking for, and he quickly pointed me to a Schecter Diamond Series Gryphon (a Guitar Center exclusive), with two Duncan designed humbuckers, Grover tuners, GHS strings, and a transparent red paint job. I played about 10 other guitars ranging from an Epi Les Paul Standard to an Ibanez R Series to a Yamaha Something Orother, many of which had some sweet sweet sustain, but none of which had the combination of feel/range/looks in the Schecter. I also got a Vox amp that performs far beyond what my lease will allow or what I have the talent to utilize, but he gave it to me for the price of the cheapo alternative I was considering. Unfortunately, the Vox doesn't pick up radio stations like my old amp. Thanks for your help Jonah!

Now, here is where you come in. My guitar needs a name, and fast. So far I've been calling him Schek (after Schecter), which is a catchy but uninspired name. Gryph is less catchy but equally uninspired. For reference, Grape Soda (my first real six-string) was named as such due to its electric purple hue and in reference to an inside joke with my friend Becca, who drank grape soda for the first time in my presence back in high school (Ahh, the good old days...). Given the paint job, I was thinking Red Tiger, but it's too similar to the etymology of Grape Soda. So, if you have any suggestion, please please please let me know. Thanks!





9 Comments:

  • At 3/05/2006 4:27 PM , Blogger KT said...

    I shall have no part in the naming of that monster....

     
  • At 3/05/2006 4:44 PM , Blogger mmm... said...

    I'm gonna name it "KT" just to spite you. Or maybe "KT Loves Electric Guitars" KLEG for short... Kleggy. I kinda like that...

     
  • At 3/05/2006 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Grape Soda was also a sophomore-semi-in-my-mohter's-van joke i believe. :P

    Anyway, I too hope to be starting/restarting to play my guitar this summer once my brother Kevin is home from college. He became a pretty decent guitar player over the past 2 years or so, so he'll be teaching me stuff beyond the "Come As You Are," "Brain Stew," and "Santa Monica" that Sean showed me. :P My youngest brother is also pretty good on the drums. I therefore need to learn both, but guitar first because it's easier to practice.

     
  • At 3/05/2006 10:54 PM , Blogger KT said...

    If you name it Kleggy I will never come visit you again.

     
  • At 3/05/2006 11:11 PM , Blogger mmm... said...

    Colleennie, I think the fact that she never had it came up before the semi, but the actual consumption was there. I could be wrong. I'm getting good at the Top Gun theme intro.

    Kleggy is a great name!

    I'm thinking of Jonas though...

     
  • At 3/06/2006 11:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wasn't saying like one came before the other... just that grape soda also came up there too. Hehe, and remember how Tom Kempa had the big science fair and couldn't make it, so we called him from the van because Sean had a cell phone and was cool like Zack Morris because this was years before they became common? And it was so cool to be calling someone from a car... hehehe I am sad that today's high schoolers would not see the novelty in that.

    Would the guitar be Jonas as in like "My Name Is Jonas"? That would be funnie because when you said "Jonah is his name" about Guitar-Center guy that immediately popped into my head.

    In other news, I wish I could get comment-reply notifications because I always forget to come back and see if you've replied. :P

     
  • At 3/06/2006 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I propose the name
    '06 shooter.

     
  • At 3/07/2006 10:35 AM , Blogger Chandster said...

    MEAT!

     
  • At 3/11/2006 3:50 PM , Blogger mmm... said...

    Meat will not occur. No, his name is Jonas. Because the salesmen's name was Jonah, and Jonas is close but cooler. Though it is fun to say "His name is Jonas".

    Jonas is broken, but only a little. My amp was broken a lot, so I had to return it for a not nearly as cool though significantly more working amp. It's a Marshall. One day it'll need a name too. Or not.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home